Henrico East Health Clinic

LEED-Gold Certified
Sustainable Construction

This newly constructed 13,500 square-foot, multi-service clinic was built to serve the healthcare needs of the local community as well as provide services to Women, Infants and Children (WIC). In it’s plan for development, officials strived for community connectivity, and situated the complex to tie into bus routes and an adjacent recreation center. The state-of-the-art facility includes multiple waiting rooms, exam rooms, nurse stations, consultation and conference areas, office space, and a controlled area to perform in-house lab work.

Key elements were incorporated into the design, construction, and surrounding site to achieve a prestigious LEED-Gold certification as designated by the U.S. Green Building Council. Clerestory windows at the roof provide daylight to waiting rooms and nurse stations, all of which are located on the interior of the building. Also known as ‘daylight harvesting,’ this type of architectural feature, with the aid of digital sensors, conserves and offsets lighting needs. This is all part of a much bigger ‘Building Automation System’ that was installed to conserve the building’s energy systems.

Evans incorporated the use of recycled content and sourced regional materials. Crews used environmentally-friendly, low-emitting adhesives and sealants, paint, flooring systems, and wood products. The project team implemented an Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Management plan which involves many details to minimize pollutants throughout all stages of construction. These plans work to maximize air quality for the long-term comfort and well-being of the construction workers and future building occupants.

In addition, the projects waste management plan diverted, at a minimum, 75% of construction waste from the landfill. On site, LEED elements included incorporating green space, installation of underground storm water retention, and using recycled asphalt.

 

 


Location / 1400 N. Laburnum Ave., Richmond, VA 23223

Architect / Moseley Architects

Civil Engineer / Burgess & Niple